Introducing PKA series high resolution all-in-one step motor

Announcements related to New Products, Trainings, Software Updates, etc can be found here.
om_tech_support_JT

Introducing PKA series high resolution all-in-one step motor

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Oriental Motor USA is pleased to announce the expansion of our 0.72°stepper motor product line with the introduction of our 0.72° All-in-One Stepper Motor, Driver and Controller (FLEX, Stored Data) type PKA Series. This 24VDC input all-in-one 0.72° stepper motor combines the high performance of a 0.72° stepper motor with a built-in microstepping driver and a stored data type controller. The combination of a high resolution motor and a microstepping driver provides the best low vibration / low noise operation for stepper motors. The built-in controller increases the system configuration flexibility and ease of use. At this moment, the PKA series is available in two frame sizes, 1.65 in (42mm) and 2.36 in (60mm).

PKA product picture.jpg
PKA product picture.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
PKA rear product picture showing IO connectors and switches.jpg
PKA rear product picture showing IO connectors and switches.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

Since this is a DC input 5-phase stepping motor with an integrated driver and controller, no wiring is needed between the driver and motor or between the driver and controller. You can literally set it up like a plug & play device and create motion in minutes. Our integrated motor also contributes to space saving benefits and reduction in the size of the equipment.

PKA series contributes to a shorter equipment set up time.jpg
PKA series contributes to a shorter equipment set up time.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

ABOUT THE STORED DATA TYPE BUILT-IN CONTROLLER:
The built-in controller (stored data) type driver is part of our Flex product offering and is designed to reduce the burden of the Master Controller or PLC. An external pulse generator is not required for a FLEX product since all programmed data and parameters are stored on the built-in controller. After it has been programmed properly, you can control a FLEX product with a fairly simple, inexpensive PLC or even switches. FLEX is the family name for Oriental Motor products that are designed to be used for Factory Automation (FA) network control via I/O control, Modbus (RTU) control through serial communication, or a network converter.

The built-in controller features the following key points:

• Data Setting type
• Positioning Operation (0 to 63)
- Linked Operation
- Sequential Operation
• Speed Control Operation
• Return to Home Operation
• I/O
- 4 Inputs
- 2 Outputs

Due to the physical size of the PKA series, direct I/O functions can only be assigned to 4 inputs (63 functions) and 2 outputs (80 functions). However, if you can control I/O remotely via a Modbus RTU (remote I/O) through serial RS485 communication, then all of the I/O functions can be accessed. In remote I/O, none of the direct I/O needs to be physically wired.

PROGRAMMING MOTION DATA/PARAMETERS:
Please use the MEXE02 data setting software (available for free download on our website) or the OPX-2A hand-held control module to program the motion data and parameters for the PKA series. You can program up to 64 different moves and various parameters. After you have done so, you can operate the product purely via direct I/O or remote I/O a Modbus RTU via serial RS485 communication.

PKA control methods IO control and Modbus control.jpg
PKA control methods IO control and Modbus control.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

The most attractive feature of the PKA series may be its price. The PKA544KD (42mm frame size) is listed @ $415 each, and the PKA566KD (60mm frame size) is listed @ $432 each. Please discuss your application requirements with our technical support group to determine if the PKA would work for you.

For more information regarding our FLEX family of products, please click the link below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/n ... index.html

For a FLEX products brochure, please click the link below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... ochure.pdf

For information on our Ethercat converter to be used with our FLEX products, please click the link below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... ochure.pdf

For more details on how to program/control a FLEX product, please click the link below:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=716

Return to “Latest Announcements”