AR: How quickly can the electromagnetic brake stop the load

om_tech_support_JT

AR: How quickly can the electromagnetic brake stop the load

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Q: I'm using an AR series electromagnetic brake step motor and its dedicated AC-input driver for the lifting axis for my new machine. Right now, I'm testing for safety. When I turn off all driver power during a move, or if my power fails, how long does it take for the motor's electromagnetic brake to engage, stop, then hold the load?

A: Unfortunately, we do not provide this specification. Our timing charts within our manuals will explain our internal circuit timing, but the time it takes for the motor to stop depends on a few other factors such as motor speed, driven load inertia, your own power circuit timing, and friction within the mechanical system. Testing is truely the best way to find out. Gearheads are another option to reduce this overrun.

We also recommend that, if possible, you should engage the electromagnetic brake only when the motor has come to a stop. Engaging the electromagnetic brake to stop the motor will increase the brake's wear and tear, and this method should only be used in emergency situations.

A RGB100 regeneration unit (accessory) is also recommended for the AC-input AR drivers when used in a vertical operation especially with quick acceleration, or if you must drive a large inertial load at high speeds. An overvoltage alarm usually occurs when you try to drive a high inertial load at high speed without the regeneration unit connected. A varistor is included for the DC-input AR drivers for the same purpose.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”