FLEX: AR66AAD-N25-3 WRAP function

om_tech_support_JT

FLEX: AR66AAD-N25-3 WRAP function

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 am

Q. I am currently using an AR66AAD-N25-3 system and communicating with a PLC using MODBUS RTU. For my application, the motor will constantly index 180 degrees in the same direction. My concern is if there is a power outage, and the motor stops in mid index, how can the system finish the move without having to home back to the original start position?

I have the BAT01B battery to save the position if the power goes off, and I currently read the Feedback Position register to know the position and home if the number is not a multiple of 180 degree index motion.

A. The AR Flex controller features what we call the "WRAP" function. This function will reset the Feedback Position register back to 0 once the counter reaches the value set by the “WRAP SETTING RANGE” parameter. You can then read the position of the motor and see where it left off in the case of a power outage and add the remaining steps by either jogging it to that position or writing this new value to one of the 64 data positions and executing a new move.

In your application you are doing a 180 degree move and have a 25:1 gear ratio. This will give us an index value of 12500 steps if using the default motor resolution (0.36/step).

You can set this value by using the MEXE02 software:

AR WRAP function MEXE02 screenshot.jpg
AR WRAP function MEXE02 screenshot.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 1604 times

In the software the Wrap function is called “Round setting” and the wrap setting range is called “Round setting range”. You will need to first enable the function, set the value, download it to the AR controller and recycle power for the settings to take effect.

Keep in mind that the Wrap function has to meet two conditions:

AR WRAP function electronic gearing1.jpg
AR WRAP function electronic gearing1.jpg (50.91 KiB) Viewed 1604 times

For your application the number will meet both conditions.

AR WRAP function electronic gearing2.jpg
AR WRAP function electronic gearing2.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 1604 times

* Default settings for A and B Electronics gears is 1.

Please free free to contact our knowledgeable technical support group if you have any questions (800-468-3982 or [email protected]), or you can post directly to this forum.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”