Changing stepper motor direction by swapping wires?

om_tech_support_JT

Changing stepper motor direction by swapping wires?

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Q: I have an old machine that was designed and built by another company. I do not have access to its controls which are already programmed. I would like to have the exact same motion as before but in the opposite direction. It would be much easier if I can change the motor's direction just by swapping some wires. How can I change the motor wiring to have the motor change direction without changing the programming? Thanks in advance.

A: We would always recommend to change a stepper motor's direction by alterning the programming stored in your motion controller. Since you do not have access to the controller programs, you can try changing the direction of the stepper motor by changing the wiring. Since this method is not recommended by us, there may be warranty issues if damages are caused by this wiring modification.

The wiring configurations change is based on the motor being used. We offer 3 stepper motor wiring configurations: a 0.36°/0.72° basic step angle new pentagon winding, a 0.9°/1.8° phase bipolar series winding, or a 0.9°/1.8° phase unipolar winding. Please reference the wiring diagrams below based on the motor type/wiring being used.

For each example below the standard wiring to the driver is locate on the left (CW) and to change direction by wiring use reference wiring on the right side (CCW).

Example #1
● Step Angle 0.36°/0.72° Standard Type, Step Angle 0.72° High-Torque Type, Geared Type
Connection Type: New Pentagon (Bipolar) configuration

Reversed wiring for a 0.36° or 0.72° basic step angle 5-wire new pentagon winding stepper motor.jpg
Reversed wiring for a 0.36° or 0.72° basic step angle 5-wire new pentagon winding stepper motor.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 8412 times

Reversed motor wiring on new pentagon RKD514L-A driver.jpg
Reversed motor wiring on new pentagon RKD514L-A driver.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 8412 times

Example #2
● Step Angle 0.9°/1.8° Standard type, 1.8° High Torque Type, 1.8° PV series, Geared Type
Connection Type: Bipolar Series 4 leads

Reversed wiring for a 1.8 deg 4-wire bipolar winding stepper motor.jpg
Reversed wiring for a 1.8 deg 4-wire bipolar winding stepper motor.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 8412 times

Example #3
● Step Angle 0.9°/1.8° Standard type, 1.8° High Torque Type, 1.8° PV series, Geared Type
Connection Type: Unipolar 6 leads

Reversed wiring for a 1.8 deg 6-wire unipolar winding stepper motor.jpg
Reversed wiring for a 1.8 deg 6-wire unipolar winding stepper motor.jpg (58.02 KiB) Viewed 8412 times

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our technical support group with any of these methods:
800-468-3982 or [email protected] or live chat session (through our main website) or post your questions here

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”