SCX11: Continuous Display

om_tech_support_JT

SCX11: Continuous Display

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Q: I am using your SCX11 controller to control a stepping motor and driver system. I wish to output the motor position to my master controller while it's communicating with the serial port. I wish to receive this information continuously so I can keep track of the position of the motor at all times without having to send additional commands.

A: Yes, the SCX11 has a continuous display function that causes the system to continuously display the value of certain variables in the same line. In your case, you could use the position feedback variable (PF), which is the actual motor position, measured by the position sensor in the motor (feedback from the motor is required to use the PF variable).

To do so, send the command "PF /" (while the motor is running). A forward slash character (/) following certain variables causes the system to continuously display the value of those variables, but these rules have to be met:
• Only one command may be displayed simultaneously
• A space must separate the command from the / character
• This data is updated every 0.15 seconds
• Keyboard <ESC> terminate the display loop

• EXAMPLE FROM SCX11 IMMEDIATE MOTION CREATOR GUI SOFTWARE - TERMINAL SCREEN:
Command Description
>UU=Degrees #Set the User Units to Degrees
UU=Degrees
>VR=10 #Set the running velocity to 10 Degrees/second
VR=10 Degrees/sec
>MCP #Begin moving continuously
>PC / #Continuously display the position command
72.639 Degrees #Device response (at one moment in time)
> #<ESC> sent: display terminates

The following variables can also be used in continuous display mode:
IN, INSG, INx, OUT, OUTSG, OUTx, IO, RIO, DIO, PC, PCI, PE, PF, PFI, EC, SIGPSTOP, SIGMSTOP, SIGABORT, SIGSTART, SIGMCP, SIGMCN, SIGMGHP, SIGMGHN, SIGPAUSE, SIGCONT, SIGPAUSECL, SIGPECLR, SIGALMCLR, SIGSENSOR, SIGHOME, SIGHOMEP, SIGLSP, SIGLSN, SIGCON, SIGFREE, SIGMOVE, SIGRUN, SIGEND, SIGALARM, SIGPSTS, SIGMBFREE, SIGREADY, SIGTL, DIN, DINx, DINSG, DOUT, DOUTx, DOUTSG, DSIGACLDCL, DSIGALARM, DSIGEND, DSIGTIMS, DSIGTIMDEXTZ, DSIGCON, DSIGCOFF, DSIGCS, DSIGMBFREE, DSIGFREE, DSIGLC, DSIGMOVE, DSIGM0, DSIGM1, DSIGM2, DSIGTL.

The ESC key will cause the termination of the / (forward slash) command execution. While the forward slash command is executing and motion is occurring, the ESC key will first cause the termination of the forward slash command execution. The ESC key must be transmitted to the device a second time to stop the motor.

NOTE:
• Do not confuse this special command with the division operator or global command, "/."
• When this command is used in the RS-232C with daisy chain connection, line feeds will occur and the bottom line will indicate the current value.

This information is also in the manual - see CONTINUOUS DISPLAY in the VIEW & TEST FUNCTIONS chapter.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”