Tension control with a torque motor for winding applications

Discuss AC Induction motors, Reversible motors, Synchronous motors, Low-Speed Synchronous motors, Torque motors, Gearheads, Brake Packs and related Accessories here.
vroomeng

Tension control with a torque motor for winding applications

Postby vroomeng » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:57 pm

Hello, I am implementing a tension control scheme for an existing setup that utilizes a Oriental Motor 5TK20GN-AW2U/5GN18SA torque motor and gearbox combo. It is controlled with a TMP-1 controller. While I am not able to directly measure tension in this application, I am attempting to implement an open loop type control with this motor by calculating the "wound up" radius of my spool, by knowing the metered amount of material being wound. Knowing this, I know my desired torque for the given tension, and winding speed. I can update the applied voltage to the torque motor, through the TMP-1. I can find that voltage graphically by this chart:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (93.05 KiB) Viewed 560 times

I would like a PLC to do this for me, so is there a formulaic form of this chart available? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

om_tech_support_AC

Re: Tension control with a torque motor for winding applications

Postby om_tech_support_AC » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:42 am

Hi vroomeng,

Unfortunately we do not have a formulaic version of the torque-speed chart. The chart is a reference the actually torque and speed will vary from the given values so it would be best to test different voltages to find your desired torque for the given tension, and winding speed.

Return to “AC Motors”